Accidents Mark Electrical Safety Month

An alarming start to the month of May

As the Electrical Safety Foundation International heralds its annual National Safety Month as an opportunity for “understanding the code that’s keeping us safe,”  there have been multiple reports of serious and significant accidents caused by electrical failures.  Among them:

  • Downtown Chicago: Three Chicago Transit Authority workers injured by an arc flash blast while at work on an electrical substation.  Reports from ABC, NBC, Chicago Sun Times and others.
  • Chicopee, Massachusetts:  fire caused by electrical overheating, excessive clutter; elderly couple rescued – reported by Massachusetts Live, the Boston Globe, and others
  • Gwinnett, Georgia: Electrical malfunction suspected in gas station fire – reported in Gwinnett Daily Post
  • Warren, Massachusetts: Five people harmed in a house fire, believed to be started by an electrical malfunction – reported by the Worchester Telegram and Gazette
  • Springfield, Massachusetts: Electrical fire heavily damages a  restaurant – reported by
  • Enid, Oklahoma:  fire deemed to be electrical – reported in Enid News
  • Hudson Falls, New York: Two story home catches fire; sparks observed in electrical sockets – reported in the Post Star

All this, reported in May’s first three days, brings home the importance of reviewing, maintaining and observing electrical safety on a regular basis. More information and safety tips are available from the Foundation, at



No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: